View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

Please don't hold your puppies mouth shut or bite him. Don't spray him with water. Don't play rough with him. Don't play tug with him. Take him for walks. Use up as much puppy energy as you can by having him run to his hearts delight. Teach him to play fetch. You can do this inside or outside with a small dog. It will burn off a lot of that excess energy.

Keep him calm and do not let others get him excited. He is over excited already and you need to work on keeping him calm when he is with people. Get yourself a good metal grooming comb and comb him quickly a couple of times a day. Teach him to lay in your lap. Try to get him to enjoy being with you without chewing or biting. You can do this more easily after you have worn him out with proper exercise.

If he goes after someone in your home put his harness on him and keep him at your side. He has to know he is not allowed to dominate people. A puppy playpen can be used to keep him off people when they come to visit but eventually you need to let him get close to people without allowing him to dominate or bite.

Find a good obedience trainer in your area and learn how to train him to sit, stay, come and down. A dominate biting dog has to be led in constructive directions away from their desire to bite and chase. You have to be in control not him. It is going to take diligence and persistence on your part. It is up to you to change this behavior.

I went through the same type of thing with my Gracie. I had never had a puppy as naughty as she could be but I am glad to say she is a wonderful companion today. It took a lot of time and consistent training. I hope you are up to the challenge.

If you use punishment to stop him all you are going to end up with is a dog that still has bad behaviors that will do them when he thinks he can get away with it. Also, a fearful dog can be very unpredictable and dangerous at times.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!