Thread: therapy dog
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
devo1250
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Service Dogs/Therapy Dogs/Emotional Support Animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
I am also working toward that goal with Kipper, but he needs to be over a year old before he can be tested and certified. In the meantime, I have been trying to take him everywhere I go, introducing him to various sites and sounds and allowing him to greet everyone, large, small or inbetween. For the first time, I was confronted in the Fred Meyer (in the pet supplies aisle) where I have always taken him, and told that if she saw my puppy (in his carrying bag that looks like a larger purse) she would have to ask me to leave. I was totally shocked and told her that I had been bringing him for at least three months without ever being told that he was not welcome. This makes me wonder if there is some way to honestly get a type of training letter or other item that would allow me to continue to bring him into the stores and other places that I feel he needs to be acquainted with before he is tested for his actual certification. I know that service dogs can get one, but is a therapy dog considered a service dog? These are issues I plan to pursue from the therapy dog certification people. I will let you know what I can find out, if I can get a response. Meanwhile, if any of you know about this process and can head me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
BlessedBee, check out the "Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973"; under these acts persons with disabilities whether they be physical, mental or emotional. If you meet the definition of disability under these acts then you are allowed to have a Service Dog, Therapy Dog or Emotional Support Animal and you can not be discriminated by anyone, that means that your pet can go anywhere you care to take him or her (stores including grocery stores; restaurants; work and any other place that you care to take your animal. To answer your question "is a therapy dog considered a service dog?" the answer is yes. The presence of this animal is necessary for the mental or physical health of you and it helps you greatly in coping with the challenges you're face with everyday by providing the needed companionship, emotional support and a reason for living. I hope this helps you BlessedBee. Sincerely, devo1250.
devo1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!