Thread: therapy dog
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
devo1250
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 019 Therapy Dogs - Registering Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
Thank you for your kind wishes. I am SO EXCITED! I just signed Kipper and me up for a four hour introduction class for therapy dogs. At the end of the course, they will test him and if he can pass, he will be a certified puppy therapy dog. It is through an organization called Project Canine, endorsed by the AKC as qualified therapy dog trainers/certification. They just happened to have a class this Saturday, so I hope it isn't too late to get into it. I paid and registered, so hopefully it will all work out. I will take my phone and can take pictures, if we get to attend! I wish you well in your pursuit, as well. I think these beautiful, loving little dogs are perfect for the job!
Taking a course is find, but you really don't have to unless you just want to. Here in Washington, DC you can state that your dog is a Service Dog/Therapy Dog/Emotional Support Pet if you genuinely are disabled (physically, mentally or emotionally). As long as you have a qualified, certified therapist, psychiatrist, psychologist, or medical doctor state that you have a disability and recommend that a pet (dog) will aid in your recovery then there is no problem in stating that you have a "Service Dog/Therapy Dog/Emotional Support Animal). Check out the following sites for registering your pet as a Service Animal/Therapy Dog; Service Animal Registry of America at www.affluent.net/sara or www.AnimalsofAmerica.comfor more info. on registering your pet as a Service Animal; Therapy Animal or Emotional Support Animal.

Sincerely, devo1250
devo1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!