View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
Mom2BabyNatalie
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Love 2012 Emma Update

Seems as though I am always drawn back to YT around Emma's birthday - since this is really where "it all began"

Emma turned FOUR YEARS OLD (can you believe it??) on August 4th.... she has had 6 surgeries to date - - for the most part, to no avail. While the small cleft in the soft palate was temporarily repaired very early on (and then grew closed on its own as she got older) - the cleft of the hard palate remains wide open. Her face is obviously deformed and she still has that lil' crooked smile and tiny twisted nose - - but to me, that fancy face is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen!

Emma stayed very small.... she is about the same size as she was at 6 months of age - weighing in at just 29 ounces. She is bit taller, a little longer - and is now almost totally hairless - the cause is unknown, but she is to be tested for Cushing's disease and autoimmune disorders. I’ve seen no other obvious problems due to the hair loss at this point - - she's just a lil' naked baby...

Emma’s tiny skull is still open in several areas - I've always said that we should have a “pawsome pink helmet” created for her!

She has never really lived the life "of a dog" - more that of a delicate little Princess! She sleeps in a playpen and we are very cautious with her in every aspect, but she is a happy girl and we are blessed to be a part of her world!

Emma eats and drinks on her own and while we still have some issues to resolve with the cause of the hair loss as well as some serious dental work that must be done, due to the cleft and the malformation of her adult teeth - - she continues to do well, thanks to all of those who help make it possible for her to get the ongoing medical intervention that she needs!

Since Emma no longer requires the 24 hour 'round the clock intense care and treatment that she has in years past, I decided a couple of months ago, that it was time to reach out to another pup in need.

The idea of that "pup in need" - recently turned into three new little faces who we are now caring for.

On August 9th, 2012 - four years after Emma joined our world - through yet another post on Craigslist, by a woman who claims to have been “helping a breeder place her dogs”, I brought home two Chihuahua ladies who are each two years old... they are likely "puppy mill rejects" and culled from the breeder's program.

These girls are terrified of EVERYTHING and simply do not know a thing about socialization, play, life INDOORS - or LOVE. They appear to be in fairly good health, but will require full veterinary evaluations and all of the basics (full blood panel work-ups, vaccinations, heartworm testing, dental work, spay, etc.) - along with lots of TLC in order to prepare sweet Stella and Claire for a new family of their own. I have a positive outlook on their future and foresee no serious long term problems.

Upon agreeing to bring home the two Chi girls, the woman who posted the ad said, “By the way, we have this 10 week old with a bad heart”…. How could I say “no”?

Little Marilyn is a sweet Chihuahua girl born with, a severe heart defect.

A preliminary diagnosis by my veterinarian states that Marilyn has Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA) with a grade 6 (of 6) heart murmur. She literally vibrates!

PDA is a congenital disease which requires immediate surgical intervention.

Many of you may recall my precious Natalie... tiny Yorkie girl who also had a genetic heart defect. Unfortunately, the damage to Natalie's heart was irreparable and she went to the Bridge one Christmas night at just 7 months old.

Marilyn has a chance - and it's because of the strength we always saw in our little Emma - that I'm willing to go down that road again with this little girl... wish us luck and love!

You are welcome to join us over on Emma's Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfEm...alateChihuahua and check in on her website at: Friends Of Emma Cleft Palate Chihuahua to follow updates.

Hope you all are doing well and enjoying those beautiful Yorkie babies! Gracie and tiny Mia send their love to their ol' buddies and we wish you all a wonderful rest of the week and weekend ahead!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2406a.JPG (148.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2612.JPG (100.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.JPG (90.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0203.jpg (181.9 KB, 21 views)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!