View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
Maritta
Yorkie Yakker

My yorkie, Kecia, died 2 months ago just shy of her 17th birthday. She was so healthy her entire life but then at age 15 I suddenly noticed she had lost her hearing and within the year she was completely blind. It started out just at night and within 6 months she was totally blind. She also would have way more accidents so I bought doggy diapers and used those on her when I knew I wasn't able to watch her closely. I spent her last 2 years taking care of her every basic need but I did so without any thought. I knew she was not in any pain, it was more work for me but I did not care one bit. I was her eyes and ears for those last two years. I would take her to her water and food and even hand feed her. I gave her more cuddles and kisses and I constantly held her and masssaged her which she loved. This is one reason why I love yorkies, if Kecia was 50lbs instead of 4lbs I would probably have had to put her down because I wouldn't be able to pack her everywhere. I had hopes that she would just pass away peacefully in her sleep but that did not happen. One Sunday late afternoon she suddenly had a seizure and then continued to have them every 20 minutes. I quickly called the vets after her 4th one and we made the decision that it was time. I has crying the entire way there and held her when they they administered her "sleeping" watched as she took her last breath and went limp. I wasn't ready to have her go but I did not want her to suffer. She meant the world to me and I swore I'd never get another dog again as it was just too darn hard! However I was an emotional wreck in the days that followed and my life just seemed so empty without a dog so a week later I adopted another yorkie, Pippa, and she was the best "medicine" I could ever have. I still think of Keci daily but in a good way as Pippa reminds me so much of her. My only advice to you is to shower as much love as you can on your baby and make their remaining days as comfortable as possible with lots of love and cuddles. When Kecia started to go down fast at age 15 I thought we would lose her within months but she ended up living another 2 years and I'm sure that was because all the love and attention I gave her. I have a 2 toddlers at home so it was hard to balance it all but I did and I'm so happy I did!
Maritta is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!