Thread: therapy dog
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Blessedbee
Senior Yorkie Talker

Well, I just finished speaking with a representative at the USAR that registers service and therapy animals. They told me that there is no age requirement for therapy animals, so I guess that changes my opinion based on what the Therapy Dog International site said. USAR has various registrations you can buy, from $50-$240, depending on the bells and whistles you want. It seems to be a yearly expense and comes with an ID card for the dog, along with its picture. I am not sure this would be a particular benefit, though. The man told me that therapy dogs are not allowed in stores or restaurants, whereas service animals are. That means that I can probably take Kipper into the convalescent home to visit, but must discontinue taking him into my favorite store when I shop for his food and toys, unless it is a pet store only. Each one of us may have to look into the specific laws of our State, as they might vary on what is acceptable or not. I wish everyone the best of success in getting therapy dog certification/acceptance. I think I might try to call the convalescent home we visit and see if they will let me bring in Kipper for loves from the residents. He is such an affectionate and personable little fellow, I would like to share him with those who cannot have pets where they are.
Blessedbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!