View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Default Buddy is itching like crazy, barking, scooting, etc

Buddy is my dads Dachshund/Spaniel mix.

He's been acting weird for over a week now. He did see the mobile vet on Tuesday, who said his anal glands were a mess, so she emptied those out. He, of course, as we knew... also needs to be on a diet. He's gained 1lb since October. He's at 21lbs now and should be 14-15lbs.

Me and my dad personally think it's more than his anal glands. The vet had said it could be allergies too so she gave him some pills (supposed to be like Benadryl) so my step-mom has been giving him now for three days.

But what he was doing is basically scratching like crazy (not really scratching at his ears... but more so on his side, like's he's trying to reach his belly). And then he barks/whines out of frustration like he's trying to get to something. He was scooting as well which I know IS typical of anal gland problems. But then he also sits there and licks the air... sticks in his tongue out over and over again. Or he'll start licking the bed. And kind of looking around like he doesn't know what to do.

He was still doing it after the vet left, but yesterday he was much better. He was scratching again when he first woke up, and doing the pacing thing. But did seem much better yesterday since the meds. But this has happened in the past and seems to come up every few months... vet always just says it's anal glands. I really don't think so. I don't think she's doing enough. He's never had bloodwork or x-rays, etc. He does not have fleas or mites.

Here is some videos, the best we could get. When he's on the floor, he does it more than this, but this is kind of what he does:

IMG_2697.mp4 video by actionjacksonxo - Photobucket
IMG_2698.mp4 video by actionjacksonxo - Photobucket

I'm almost thinking it's a neurological problem... but maybe that's extreme. It reminds me of syringomyelia... the problem found in a lot of Cavaliers, but not AS drastic. He sort of does what the dog was doing around 20 second mark, but definitely not as bad.

I do wonder if he has a thyroid problem of sorts... since he seems to gain weight so easily. Yes he gets treats etc, and not a whole lot of exercise, but really we feed him VERY little and I don't understand how he's still gaining weight.

I also found this: Acanthosis Nigricans in Dogs: Blackening Skin - VetInfo where he fits a lot of the symptoms. Most common in Dachshunds, caused by obesity, he does have somewhat dry skin and dry hair.

It is frustrating to me and my dad because this is essentially my step-moms dog and he is her baby, yet if he seems better, she just lets it go and thinks he's a-okay and then it will pop up again in a few months. She thinks this mobile vet is the best, I'm not sure I agree. She also will just switch his food around... some times I bring over food, so she'll use whatever is left of Jackson's food, but if they run out before I come over again, she will just go buy Pedigree or something from the grocery store. She's on the end of the bag of Pedigree, and I do wonder if it's simply the food causing a reaction, but I don't know. It just doesn't seem like JUST allergies to me.

If any of you have any ideas, that would be awesome!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!