View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
Hamoth
YT Addict

Default Mutant Yorkie. World's largest yorkie?

Nobody believes that my Chewy is really a pure bread yorkie, however I got him from a reputable breeder of yorkshire terriers and he came with AKC papers. Now he was considered incredibly large for his breed when we got him at 6 months and 10 lbs. Much to our surprise, this dog never stops growing. He's not nearly 8 months old and 15.6 lbs!!!!

This is definately NOT a complaint about my dog. I actually thought the breed to dainty for my taste and wanted a more robust dog that would still be happy in my apartment. Boy did I hit the genetic jackpot here! Chewy is about as healthy and adventerous as one could hope and loves a good rough and tumble with other pups as well.

My question is this: I have often read that the breed is only 6 lbs at the largest. But I have every assurance that this is a true Yorkie...Not that I'm hung up on pedigree, but I do derive a peculiar satisfaction in his blatant defiance of the breed standard (you go boy!). The vet actually wanted me to show papers to prove he wasa yorkie, and I think he called the breeder. After a while he told me that he had seen mutants alogn the same line as Chewey but never such a pronounced example. The vet has nicknamed him "mutant" (which I adoringly aslo call him now).

Beside being bigger than most yorkies by more than double size, and continuing to grow even at 8 months, he has a super-long neck (some tracheal problems when he gets too excited sadly), and a crazy flat body that becomes a wierd elongated shape when he's playing on the ground.

Grooming a yorkie this large is a big hasle, so we had him shaved....(edited to add: Shaved sounds so mean, lol...We had him trimmed to the puppy cut. He's much happier now.)

Rambling...

Ok, my question is this: Has ANYONE heard what the record largest Yorkie is? Is mine #1?

Last edited by Hamoth; 04-13-2005 at 11:34 PM. Reason: hit submit by accident. Then realized "shaved" not the right word.
Hamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!