View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Dogs are pack animals and need an actual connection to us. In the wild, they are constantly playing, working together and laying on other members of their pack when resting. They need this type of connection to other beings in their pack. To canines, this is vital. As a puppy, a canine is charged with energy and curiosity and this baby needs more mental stimulation and exercise, actual playing with mommie and a good training program. Kong toys with treats inside, Squirrels in the Stump/Tree, lots of squeaky toys and all are good but unless you physically and mentally connect with your little one beyond just the occasional playtime and give him the quality time that a canine thrives on, you are denying a canine one of his life's greatest actual needs in order to be a happy and fulfilled dog. Just because you are there in the room with your dog is not enough - they need interaction, fun play, mental stimulation, fun training and exercise. A puppy sleeps so much that you sessions needn't be that long but keep them frequent as he's growing up. Talk to your baby as you do things in one-word explanations of what you are doing as you go about doing things to keep the connection going and the puppy's brain engaged. Most of us work outside the home for hours, leaving our dogs crated/otherwise confined and alone all day but even if there is another dog to play with or you work from home, they still need that genuine connection and "me" time with their pack leader - you. Just being in the room with them isn't enough - they require real interaction, especially for a puppy.

So start a good training program, add lots of fun games and talk to that baby often so that a connection is formed with your little pack animal. Then when you sit down to work on the computer, watch TV or whatever "work time"(my phrase I use in telling Tibbe I'm busy and he needs to give me my time), your little guy will be tired, mentally satisfied and feel that his needs are met and can lie down and rest or play alone in a much happier, satisfied state, knowing mommie is in "work time". When puppy approaches you wanting more attention and its full needs have been met, you can say "work time" and redirect him to a toy or kong without feeling guilty. He will be a much happier canine and you will be much happier.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!