View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #69
navillusc
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraE View Post
Wow...that website just makes me sick! You know, I have 2 mixes...love them dearly. Im so glad that I knew better than to think they were "designer" dogs . They are mutts.....beautiful sweet mutts, but mutts all the same. I pity the people who buy these tiny babies just for show. No telling how many health problems they may have.... and 5-10 thousand bucks...just sad, very sad.
I have had lots of "mutts" myself...lol...like you said, "beautiful sweet mutts, but mutts all the same." In fact, all of my previous dogs (and cats) were "mutts"...great companions, great pets, and I am privileged to have been allowed to enjoy them. Brody and Mia are my first purebreds...unregistered...but purebred.

It is very sad that people are looking for an "icon" in the super tiny dogs rather than a companion pet...the disenchantment rate is way too high, IMHO...once the "new" wears off, the dog often needs a new home.

An interesting thing to me is the user of the word "designer" which indicates that the "designer" had some inkling what s/he was "designing" or in this case, physically creating. A purebred breeder certainly should have SOME idea what their creation 'should' look like, and even then, sometimes there are 'surprises' that will occur. I am guessing also that there are 'breeders' ('greeders' etc.) that may not know...lol

In the case of "mutts" ("Designer" / "Heinz 57" dogs), how could the "designer" possibly hope to know what the offspring of a cross breeding will look like...therefore, how could the "designer" EVER claim to have "designed" that puppy to look like that? It is, as I understand it, the luck of the genetic draw...at least it was with all the "oops's" I've been involved with or known about...lol
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!