View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Teresiana
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Unhappy No Food For 3 DAYS?!

I saw my vet today & one of the things we spoke about is my crazy finicky puppy Yoshi. I've tried EVERYTHING short of back handsprings in a pink tutu to get my Yoshi to eat. Yes, I waited 20 minutes & took the food away...yes, I tried ricotta/yogurt/chicken/cheese/dehydrated liver/shredded carrots/etc mixed with kibble...no, I do not give him any people food & his only treats are cheerios & pieces of green beans...yes, I did raw...I did dehydrated raw, moistened & straight out of the bag...I tried Sojos, Grandma Lucy's, FreshPet...Orijen, Fromm, TOW, even Royal Canin. I've homecooked & hand fed. I've tried treat dispensers & scattered bits of kibble all over the house. He even sniffs & walks away from Weruva 3x a day...whether it be on a plate, in a bowl, on the kitchen floor, in his crate, under the dining room table, wherever. We even walk or exercise prior to meal time. You name it, I did it.

Vet says...
Put down the same food at the same time 3x a day. Check.
Take it away after 20 minutes. Check.
Give NutriCal only he seems tired/lethargic & make sure he's drinking.
Let him go 3 DAYS with no food. Then call him.

My Yoshi is 6.3 pounds. I told him that I wasn't comfortable letting him go for 3 whole days & that I was going to ask "my friends" before doing it. So far, the longest I've gone is 1 1/2 days. However, I have been giving him about an inch of NutriCal if he goes longer than 6 hours without eating. Vet says no NutriCal unless he seems lethargic & give him 3 days.

Btw, my vet sees mostly small/toy breeds. So he isn't unfamiliar with the breed.

Does this seem reasonable? Should I at least put out a saucer of some chicken broth if he doesn't eat? Or am I just an overprotective Mommy?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!