View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
SophieKatesMom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Not going to yell at you (not my style) but you have a couple of issues to deal with. You need to start potty training your dog (I personally think you can still do it at 7 years of age with some serious work) and you need to make Peanut love his crate and want to be in there.

Some suggestion are:

1. For the barking you need to enforce that it is not acceptable, when Peanuts bark you need to develop a signal with him that indicates no barking. I use a hand clap and a stern "No Barking" command. I have heard of people who use a can with pennies, when the barking starts shake the can.

2. Not yelling but, your Peanut is in a crate to long without a potty break, can you have someone take him outside about half way through the day? Also you need to get Peanut on a potty schedule and stick with it, trust me it took me almost two years to get my Sophie Kate potty trained, I had a lot of false starts until I realized it was me not her, I got her a schedule and we stick to it 7 days a week. Putting Peanut outside, unattended for 30 minutes is not enough, go out with him and when he goes potty CELEBRATE, give him a treat and a lot of "good boys".

3. Just my opinion but Peanut needs exercise, putting him outside is not enough you may want to play fetch with him or take him for a walk. When my baby was young and slept in her crate at night I always took her for a 45 minute walk before bedtime.

I keep thinking that you are getting a new house and you don't want to move Peanut in with bad habits, get started now and keep with it. Remember Peanut wants to please you (even if you question it he does).

Good luck.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!