View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
iluvduchess
Yorkie Yakker

Embarassed

I think what IronMike86 wrote is important. If you find a good breeder, and quite frankly, pay a little more up front for a good quality dog, then chances of you needing catastrophic coverage for 10 years or so is probably pretty doggone low.

I know that we all love our Yorkies, whether we bought them from a "back yard breeder" or a very highly thought of breeder. So, I really don't want to knock those who have had medical problems with their dog. I had some medical problems with my little Duchess, who was breeded by a "BYB". But, I wouldn't have traded her for the world.

But, they were things like arthritis and cataracts, which I feel she got sooner than she would have, had she been from a genetic lineage that had better breeding for physical characteristics.

On the other hand, my Maltese (knock on wood), I spent more than double on him, than I did for Duchess, and he has been extremely healthy. He's already 9.5, and going for his annual checkup in a couple of weeks, and I don't expect any problems, but I'm going to get general blood work done, because of his age.

The new Yorkie that I'm picking up today, has been very healthy, and his grandmother was a $4000 show dog. So, I really don't expect any major health issues until he gets around 10 years old, or later. So, the $50 a month in an account will be the way I continue to go...may raise it to $75. I guarantee if I were to go out and buy a policy for both dogs tomorrow, that it would cost me close to that.

So, it is just something that you need to weigh the pros and cons of very heavily. If you feel you've gotten your Yorkie from a very good breeder, and that he/she will be very healthy because of that..I would go the savings account, "doggy account" route.

However, if you're not quite sure of the genetics of your dog, insurance just might pay for you.

I just wanted to relate my experience, and that I probably lost $2500 to $3000 by getting pet insurance for my Yorkie, over the last 9 to 10 years.

And, most of all, I'm really aggravated about how long it is taking to pay my claim - the only claim I've made in over 9 years of insurance. I would swear when I bought it that they said they'd pay claims in 5 business days. I've provided them with all the documentation I can. I'm going to have to remember to call them early next week.

Best of luck to you all, and I hope and pray that all of your Yorkies will live long, healthy lives!!!
iluvduchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!