View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
MY OSCAR
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatical View Post
Hi everyone! I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first time being brave enough to post. I just got my baby on Saturday, July 28th, and I think things are going pretty well. I feel like I've learned so much by reading YT! I was curious, though, to get some opinions or advice on me & my father's training of my little boy, as I really want to make sure we do everything the right way! I sincerely appreciate any constructive criticism or advice.

For starters, my baby is a little 12-week old boy named Montgomery, tipping the scales at massive 4.25lbs . We went to the vet within 48 hours and they said he is very healthy and bright. He does have ear inflammation which we are treating 2x a day.

At night he sleeps in a crate next to my bed with a very fluffy, warm towel inside and sometimes his Lambchop toy which he likes to cuddle. The salesgirl told me he shouldn't have toys in there, but he's so wee (and I feel like he misses his dear brother - who we tried to take along with us but was already committed to another family) that I felt bad to take his Lamby away when he started cuddling with it. He doesn't cuddle Lamby constantly, but I like to leave him in the crate just in case. He is very good about going into his crate and does not cry or bark at all, except for when it's time to potty. He sleeps very long, almost all night, but will wake me up once in the middle of it to take him out. Within the 6 days we've had him, he goes on the puppy pad at night with no issues!

On the topic of potty training, he goes on the pad about 80-85% of the time, with occasional accidents here and there. (We are training him to do this - he came to us completely untrained.) My father has a varying work schedule which allows him to be home a lot in the day with Monty. We actively take him outside into our gated yard as much as we possibly can, and he does his business there as well. We praise him and give him a small treat when he goes on the pad or outside, and we never reprimand for accidents. Really, he is just a small baby and therefore accidents are unavoidable, right? I've noticed now that when he can help it, he will sprint towards the pad instead of just squatting down where he is. If he can't make it, we understand, although as soon as we see him "assume the position" we hurry him over to it ourselves. He also now will paw at the back door to go out when he needs to!

For the times we must run errands or can't be with him, I have him set up in a very generous exercise pen. In there he has his other bed, a puppy pad, his food and water, and his toys to play with. He cries sometimes if he knows we're in the house (say, if I put him in there so I can take a shower) but stops after a few minutes and occupies himself. He also is a pro about only going potty on the pad, nowhere else.

We have him on a feeding schedule of Blue Buffalo puppy food, 1/3d a cup 3x a day, as recommended by his vet. He also has learned his name, "no", "come", "up," "down," and will roll over when I ask if he wants a belly rub. He learned to go up and down stairs, and is doing it quite confidently (his former home was all one level).

Am I right in thinking this is good progress for being with us for only six days? I did as much research before we brought him home as humanly possible, but I still worry. Worrying is my nature! I actually got Montgomery for animal assisted therapy. In six days he has become the second doggie love of my life (my beloved Shih Tzu, Sushi, passed when I was 9). He is like my little shadow, and I absolutely adore him, so I want to make sure I'm doing the best possible things for his well-being and future.

wow, i am so very impressed.
it sounds like you have everything perfect for little montgomery. yes, i love the name.
asking to go out at only 12 weeks is very impressive.
you should be a proud mama.
my oscar was 4 pounds @ 12 weeks and now at almost 1 year he is 7 1/2 pounds.
your little guy will probably be about the same size.
i think you are doing a fabulous job.
montgomery is a lucky little boy
MY OSCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!