View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
mimodok
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieSpirit1 View Post
Emy finally is peeing on her pee pads, but how do you get them to poop on the pee pads? She just poops on the kitchen floor and pees on her pee pads.
She drops poop as she is scooting along the floor! Should I put more pee pads on the floor so she has a separate place for peeing and a separate place for pooping? I use a magnetic pee pad holder, I was using a plastic puppy peepad holder, but she would just eat the center of the peepad. With these magnetic holders, they lay flat on the floor, she doesn't for some reason bother with eating the peepad, unless one has a little flaw in it and isn't completely smooth, then she will of course pull up on the pad and tear it up...but I catch her and tell her no!....the pooping has got me stumped though, cause I know shortly after peeing first thing in the morning the poop will follow.
In my experience, puppies seem to gain better control of their bowels after they gain control of their bladder. Each puppy is different of course. But, when you watch young puppies learning where to potty you will notice two things.

When they are really young (7-8 weeks), they seem surprised by the fact they suddenly have to pee. It's like they didn't see it coming at all and their bladder is full and about to pop. They scurry around in a panic, sniffing the ground, looking for a place to squat. They can't think clearly about the correct place to bathroom, so they just squat and pee. They seem to be able to better predict when they have to pee at about age 9-11 weeks.

Puppies react the same when they have to poop. They run around and even cry. It's as if they are saying, "What's happening to me? What do I do? Oh my, I think I should squat here and poop! Wow that feels much better!" With the puppies I've raised in the past, it seemed like it took a lot longer for them to gain complete control over their bowels. My puppy has started to gain control, which began when she was about 10-11 weeks old. She still occasionally runs around like I described.

In both scenarios, you can pick up the puppy and direct them to where they should use the bathroom. Be warned, if they really are about to pop you might get peed on! You can also try calling them over to the pad or outdoors if they come reliably. Praise and reward them when they go in the correct place.

Keeping the puppy in a smaller area, like a play pen or just confined in one room, means less room for bathroom errors. In a smaller area, the pad is always visible to the puppy as the correct option. They are also less likely to wander far enough that they forget where the pad is.

It's funny that I'm giving advice on potty training in a post where I was asking advice. But, I've been successful with training puppies to go outside or on their pee pee pad. It's been a long time since I raised a puppy though. So, I've forgotten what methods worked when it came to complications like peeing in the wrong place or confusing pee pee pads with rugs.

Last edited by mimodok; 08-03-2012 at 04:26 AM.
mimodok is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!