View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
prettypuppypink
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkieluv
Okay everyone, I know this topic has been discussed extensively on this forum, but my situation is a bit different because Miko has a liver shunt. Miko has an appt. to get his rabies shot this sunday...The vet said that it would be a rabies, lyme, and giardia...Are these too many vaccines for him at once regardless of the liver shunt? Also, knowing that he does have a liver shunt, does anyone know how this will affect him? My regular vet whom I trust 100% is in Tampa, and we recently moved further south, so the appt. is not with my regular vet. It's almost impossible for me to get off work to take him 2.5 hrs north just for shots.. I will call my regular vet in the morning to ask him all these questions, but I wanted to see if I could get any input from you guys in the meantime...Miko is 1 yr and 9 mos old.
I would only give one innoculation at a time even without liver shunt. May I ask why Miko is getting the Giardia innoculation? There is alot of controversary about this innoculation being effective unless a dog has symptoms of Giardia. It is not effective in dogs with asymptomastic (no symptoms). Alot of vets don't treat asymptomatic Giardia. I changed vets when Pixie came with it but had no symptoms, because I wanted it treated having other dogs. If you research Giardia, you can get really confused. Pixie was treated for quite awhile and is still tested often. She was treated with Panacur. I think you are wise to call your previous vet but I would consider looking for another locally. I question a vet's knowledge of small breeds when they want to innoculate all at one time. I lost a dog after multi innoculations before we left the vet's parking lot. I still beat myself up over this after the necrospy results.
Jessica
prettypuppypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!