View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
DBlain
Donating YT Addict

I disagree about the money because from what I have seen even a poorly bred yorkie costs more than a mixed breed, and anyone that is willing to buy a mix most likely does not care that much about AKC papers anyway. Granted the breeders of mixes just as the breeders of purebreds like to make money, but I think they breed mixes because people want them. As all of you know finding a full bred yorkie that does not cost an arm and a leg is a challenge. If you are not a show breeder and you raise yorkies then I guess you must be a profit breeder, yet people on YT say don't buy from breeders for profit, then of course most people breed out of their home, yet buying from a back yard breeder is also frowned up. Since there are not a ton of yorkie show breeders and they often go a long time between selling puppies the price is high and the wait can be long, in some instances like like with me, I wanted a male puppy and wound up with a female, then I wanted another female and wound up having to take the male, so I had to pay $1,500 for the opposite sex of what I wanted. After paying $1,800 for my last yorkie that had so many personality issues and quirks that can be common in the breed I decided that this time I was not going to spend an arm and a leg for a dog. However I wanted something similar in size and look of a yorkie, so I started searching for a mix breed. I found Lola in an on line classified ad and she was mixed with Pom, LOL I don't even like the look of a pom or their personality, but she was cute, looked similiar to a yorkie but still differnt. She was 4 months old and only $450.00. When I went to see her the lady turned out to be a broker she said she sold them for "friends" in northern MI, the dogs she had were all around 3-4 months of age, clean and looked healthy. I took a chance and gave her a post dated check and took Lola immediately to the vet for bloodwork and a check up, everything came back great so I kept her. Buying a dog is very hard because there are so many scammers out there, I am just glad that whoever decided to breed Lola did so not to make a better yorkie or Pom specimen but to just get a very good pet that could be sold affordably because that is just what a lot of people want. So far Lola has turned out to be the best dog I have ever had, my husband thinks that by mixing breeds it evens out some of their temperament and issues, I am not sure if that is true but I often here people say how much better tempered a mutt is and how often there are less health issues. As much as one might like to claim Lola is a designer mix, she really is just a little mutt, and I am so lucky she is my little mutt
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!