Thread: Vicious Biting
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam2490 View Post
Thanks everyone! I am no longer going to play rough with him and I will remove myself when he gets crazy until he is calm. I have been working on sit with him and he just about has it. How did any of you teach your dogs to stay?
Great advice from everyone here. Be sure to check out the article. Here's another I like:
Teaching Bite Inhibition | Dog Star Daily

It helps for you to say OUCH and even lick your "wound" when there's any rough bite.

I was taught to teach stay by first putting them in a sit, then holding a flat hand in front of them while saying stay. The idea is to build up the amount of time they have to hold the position before they get a reward. Don't worry about distance. Stay close. Start out with 5 seconds. If they make it, they get a treat and can get up. Then work on 10 seconds, 20, and so on. Once you get up to a minute, you can start adding distance. If they break, cut down on the distance but make them wait the full time.

An obedience class would teach this MUCH better.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!