View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
sganow
YT 500 Club Member

That's funny... met girl, fell in love with her dog instead!

There's really no absolute way to know what size a yorkie will be until it is grown. You can only guess based on the size of the parents or past siblings. I have one that is 9lbs (Maggie) and one that is 10 lbs (Ginger). My 9 lb yorkie is a little overweight, but my 10 lb yorkie is solid as a rock and not at all overweight (she's quite a bit larger than my 9 lb yorkie).

My yorkies are slightly different in color too. Maggie is black and a lighter tan, while Ginger is a mix of black, gray (blue), and a darker tan or almost light gold. Maggie has a cottony coat and Ginger has a silky coat.

Mine bark quite a bit, but they learned that from our other older dogs we had/have. They are still my babies and I love them to death! I'm sure you will love your new dog too. You can work with the new dog and try to get it trained how you like. Whether you get a puppy and train it your way, or get a slightly older dog is entirely up to you. I have always gotten puppies and prefer it that way.

Potty training takes time, effort, and patience. They can be stubborn but again you need to be persistent. Positive enforcement works good too, using lots of praise and a treat when they do good. Mine still have an occasional accident in the house, but it is pretty rare. The good thing about a small dog is that their piddles are small too.

Good luck. Let us all know what you end up doing. When you get your new dog, be sure to introduce it to us! Welcome to YT!

Last edited by sganow; 07-27-2012 at 09:10 AM.
sganow is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!