View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #13
mimodok
Senior Yorkie Talker

I don't remember where I read this, but there is some research supporting that ramps are easier on the joints than stairs for dogs. I've used both with young and old dogs and they seem to prefer the ramps once they know how to use them. For example, there are a few steps down from my parents' back door to the outside. Half of those steps have a dog ramp over them. Their little dogs almost always use the ramp instead of the steps.

So, you could consider getting ramps in locations where you fear your dog might jump or where there are already stairs.

Leg injuries from jumping off of couches and beds are too common with Yorkies. They think they are invincible and will jump off of surfaces 4 feet off the ground! You can train your dog not to go on or off these surfaces without your help/permission. Or, you could train them not to go on these surfaces at all.

My Yorkie does not have access to our bed. She sleeps in her crate in our bedroom at night. We will play with her on our bed, but we watch her and make sure she doesn't jump. We even have collapsible bed rails at the foot of the bed and on one side. This way, we only have to be vigilant about keeping her from jumping off of one side of the bed while playing with her up there.

Salty (R.I.P) tore a tendon in one of his legs and wore a cast for a long time. He was depressed too and it took him awhile to learn how to walk with it. Before long, he was running around the backyard and barking at the neighbor dogs just like his old self. He could run surprisingly fast despite his cast.

In the meantime, keep your puppy company. Give her toys and chew things to keep her occupied while sitting or laying down. Encourage her to walk on her own with the cast so she will feel independent again. Taking her on walks in a stroller is also a good idea.
mimodok is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!