View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
Harrysmum
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

I seem to remember this one was really good....I haven't made it in a couple of years though, so please don't tell me off if you don't like it!!!

Spicy-Hot Mixed-Bean Chilli

Generous half cup dried red kidney beans
Generous half cup dried black-eyed beans
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp mild paprika
Half tsp dried marjoram
1 lb mixed vegetables ie.e. potatoes, carrots, aubergines (eggplant) parsnips, celery etc
1 vegetable stock cube
14oz can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree (paste)
Salt + ground black pepper

1. Put the dried beans in a large bowl and pour over at least twice their volume of cold water. Leave to soak for at least 6 hours, or overnight.

2. Drain the beans and rinse well, then place in a pan with 2 and a half cups of cold water and the bay leaf. Bring to the boil, and boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, leave to cool for a few minutes, then tip into crockpot. Switch on to High.

3. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and cook for 7-8 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, chilli powder, paprika and marjoram and cook for 1 minute. Tip into crockpot and stir.

4. Prepare the vegetables and cut into 1" approx chunks.

5. Add the vegetables to the mixture, making sure that those that may discolour are submerged. Cover with the lid and cook for 3 hours or until the beans are tender.

6. Add the stock cube and chopped tomatoes to the crockpot, then stir in the tomatoe puree and season with salt + pepper. Replace the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes until the mixture is at boiling point.

So, that's a veggie version - I'll try to find a meat one! Sally x
Harrysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!