View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

I've read on here a number of times, not to use the crate as a "punishment", tool.

I have effectively used it as such, over many years, as still my dogs go to their crate, as they want and snooze, or just hang out in it.

The crate is used as a time out. The punishment in my mind is that they are removed from your presence!.

I like to train the drop it, and the Leave it commands. They are so important for a dog to have down pat. STOP or STOP IT, is also key in my mind.

Several times, very short training sessions = a rough rule of thumb take the age in months of the dog, and one minute of training per month of life. So 4months old = 4 minutes of training. Once they mature and enter into the "terrible teenage years" anywhere from 12mths - 18mths old, most dogs lose their minds again. Back to very short, and frequent trainings. Ideally you would like to be able to keep your dog focussed on you for at least 30 minutes of training, and that can take 2yrs sometimes more to develop in the dog.

You can and it is great to repeat training several times a day. Also incorporate a few minutes of training, when walking your puppy. Train everywhere, stores, dog parks, the beach, in the car, your back and frontyard etc. On the grooming table.

A sharp clap can work to redirect inappropriate behaviour, so can a whistle. I've taken to walking with a whistle around my neck. I actually got that whistle to direct Magic in the water. (We are still working that one out)

Being frightened of a serious growl is very natural and understandable. It is one of a dogs "defense mechanisms" that is natural to the canine. I can't find the link right now, but there are different levels of growls. A full growling snarl, with lips creased up and teeth bared is usually thought to be one step back from a bite. In other words, the dog is ready to take it to the bite level.

With some daily training your pup will come along just fine! You know one thing is I don't think I am "alpha", I KNOW I am. I walk confidently, expect my commands to be obeyed, and respond appropriately if they are not.

Body language is really important to a dog. In the kitchen preparing food, you move confidently, you "expect" your dog to get out of your way. In placing his food bowl down, you command sit, if he doesn't sit, then no food. Place food bowl down, and expect him to Stay in sit; if he doesn't correct him, pick up food bowl, sit him again, and place bowl down.

Just another thing about the movement with yorkie pups, do the shuffle and look down before stepping. But keeep moving forward and if your pup doesnt move, use the word 'MOVE", and if he doesn't gently toe him out of the way.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!