View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

I would sure start the Nothing In Life Is Free program on him, reading about it on Google search. He's a baby yet and trying out his macho but you need to let him know in the event of a second time that growling at you is never tolerated. I try to use a method of discipline similar to that used by mother dogs. I usually will walk over and put a hand in a clawlike fashion across the back of the dog neck as the momma or alpha dog would do with their mouth and say "No" or "uh oh" firmly, then stand there until he backs off and relaxes. Then go about your business matter of factly. Don't hold it against him - he's learning. Discipline as the mother might administer is not punishment and remember that you won't achieve your goal if you hurt the dog or scare him, so administer the claw as just minor pressure on only the back of the neck held for a bit. I would not use this method on anything but a puppy or small dog.

A good positive-reinforcement training program will help to modify his behavior so that he sees you as his leader to be totally trusted and followed implicitly and never think of growling at you again ever. You will both have lots of fun doing it and he'll learn he gets more by behaving rather than misbehaving, growling and not minding you and you will build a wonderful bond. Keep the sessions very short but frequent, at least twice evenings and more often on weekends/holidays. I usually never train a Yorkie longer than 5 mins. at a time - maybe stretching it a bit to 10 if the dog is really into it that day. Good luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!