View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Testing his limits.... I would growl back louder (be the bigger dog, lol), or laugh and say stuff like 'What are you doing growling at your Mommie?' Two of mine growl to get my attention. I say ' You growling at me?' And them pick them up... but basically show them that it doesn't bother me nor am I intimidated by it.

When my 2 year old rescue growled the first day in my house, it really scared me... I left the room until I could compose myself, then I went back in, she growled again as I went to pick her up and put her off the bed. I laughed as I kept moving towards my goal, and talked to her as above, making light of it. It worked and she did not escalate to a bite.

There is a difference, IMHO, between handling this with puppies and older dogs. I would avoid confrontations like that and learn to put my clothes away where he cannot get them. A pup will test you, where an older dog that still does this to intimidate has learned that it works.

Also, when taking things from a Yorkie, I've had better luck when offering something in exchange. In my experience, it redirects their attention to the new object (toy or treat) so they don't obsess over what they give up.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!