View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
shelimcallister
Max Main's Mamma
Donating YT Member

I am not an expert by any means but I do remember reading, I think on this website, that you should not use your crate for a "time out" or punishment. The crate should be a safe haven and happy place although my Yorkie would beg to differ. Even at 9 months he still gets upset sometimes when he has to go in the crate.

I am sure Max, my Yorkie, has done something like that before. When they are so little they think that everything is about play time. If Bruno was being aggressive, then that is not good. However, the reason he did this is because he was mad that you took something away that he wanted. So, you have to teach him to obey commands.

Next time you could try teaching him the "drop it" or "release" command. You could even practice it with toys. Just tell him to drop it and follow by giving him a treat. You will probably have to use the fading prompt technique (i.e. physically pulling it out, then gently pulling it out, then placing your hand on the toy without pulling at all, and so on). Eventually, he will learn that he gets rewarded when he obeys your commands and as they mature, you will not need to use a treat any longer.

I hope this helps! I am not sure if that is exactly right, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this website that will you help you also. Good luck!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!