View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #13
mimodok
Senior Yorkie Talker

I went ahead and ordered the crate liner I was looking at on Amazon. It's a little pricey but I intend to use it all the time and it will save me the hassle of trying to make one.

Last night I discovered why they don't make dog collars with a break-away option. I had Mishka on a leash in the backyard to keep her focused on going to the bathroom instead of running around the whole place. She pulled on the leash, the collar broke free, and puppy was free!! She was very pleased with herself and ran everywhere. So much for going to the bathroom.

Mishka starts obedience school next weekend. They sell pinch collars there that I have been very happy with that I intend to buy and always use when she is on a leash. I guess I will make her break-away collar her permanent collar with her tags. She is micro-chipped though so if she does manage to lose her collar, and escape me (as if!), she should be okay.

Her breakaway collar comes off so easily, do you think it would be okay for me to leave it on when she is closed in her crate? I feel better when she is always wearing her collar. She has a little bell on there that alerts me when she is awake at night and helps me keep track of her in the house (since she's so small right now). I keep forgetting to put her collar back on when I take her out of her crate. If it's still too risky then I will make myself get in the habit of it, obviously. What are your thoughts?

I know many of you insist on only using harnesses when walking Yorkies and I understand why. We did that with our male Yorkie for his whole life and most of Penny's life. Unfortunately, there is no way to use the leash as a tool to correct pulling or give them directions. The pinch collar works great for that, like a bridle on a horse.

Penny used to pull the entire time while wearing a harness on a walk. Since using the pinch collar on her (and she never went through any proper obedience training) she never pulls and hardly barks while on leash. She walks just as perfectly as my Mom's poodle, who has been through plenty of obedience school.

Sorry the topic of this thread has changed from crate liners to breakaway collars, lol.
mimodok is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!