View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

I always try to remind patients and pet owners, that YOU HIRE the doctor or the vet...they dont hire YOU! DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY DOCTORS OR VETS....be just as sweet and polite and friendly as you normally are, but when it comes to your loved ones, you have to take a polite, firm stand....I never call a doctor or vet and ASK if I should bring someone in...I TELL them, "my uncle is suddenly speaking jibberish, I am thinking stroke, we are on our way!" or "My little dog just collapsed in the yard and looks like he is having a seizure or stroke...we are on our way!"...and then you hang up and head to the vet.....If something happens to your loved one, or something weird happens to your pup, EVEN IF IT SUDDENLY RESOLVES, it is NOT NORMAL....YOU NEED TO HAVE THE PATIENT SEEN IMMEDIATELY....HAVE LAB WORK CHECKED AND THE PATIENT EXAMINED....DO NOT LET THEM PAT YOU ON THE HEAD LIKE SOME OVER REACTIVE NEWBIE....YOU KNOW YOUR BABY BETTER THAN THE VET DOES...INSIST HE CHECK THE ANIMAL OVER, AND DO APPROPRIATE TESTING.....YOU are that person/pet advocate....dont assume a hostile, aggressive attitude, just let them know you are terrified by what happened, you KNOW it is not normal, and you would like him to do some diagnostics to see if he can pin point what just happened....you are terrified it is going to happen again and you are fearful he may be worse off the next time....they will usually respond appropriately if you handle yourself professionally and with genuine concern for your patient!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!