View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #18
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
Research has proven this wrong! You have very recent research that proves the old wives tales about allowing at least one heat cycle, is preferred, for the future health of the pup....there are hormones that are released with the heat cycle that have beneficial effects on all other organs in the body, including but not limited to the heart and brain....also, maturing of the growth plates need to be complete. As a breeder, I have always recommended spaying around 8 months, before the first heat cycle....I have been reviewing the research from many different sources, and I am re-thinking my recommendations about this issue, and I present it this way to my new owners. I am now suggesting they wait until at least one year of age, or after the first heat cycle, before spaying.
I don't think research has proven it completely wrong there is a type of cancer that it knocks all chances of out if done before there first heat. I personally do not think everyone who buys a dog is prepared for the kind of eye and stuff you have to keep on a female dog in heat and I also think if the person who has the puppy has an non fixed male in the house with a female that is in heat it could go very wrong very fast and most people wouldn't put the care and time that needs to be put in to make sure they stay completely separate. I think in many cases before the first heat is the best time to spay.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!