Thread: Hereditary?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiemom1970
Allergies can develop, and I've never had them in my yorkies other than one of my girls who is spayed.

Tri, parti and choc would be passed through a gene so they would be inherited.

Roach back: definitely inherited.

Cotton coat: inherited.

Yes, I have bred a cotton coat to a true silk and got a modified which was beautiful, a bit on the fussier side as far as grooming a true silk but nothing like grooming a true cotton. Then when I bred a modified to a silk with true silk on daddy's side, I got a silk coat. I may just be lucky, but genetics are tricky and i'm still learning every day that goes by. I'd prefer to breed a silk to a silk any day. But I tried to compliment the cotton bitch with the silk stud because I had such a good look, stucture and health on each one in general. I'm still working on that line and will continue to. I'm pleased with the offspring so far. But I'm always out to improve. Just wanted to say if anyone downs me for breeding a cotton coat, I'll personally come to your house with my knomes and turn them lose on your property! They will pull up all your flowers and shave cream your car

All I'm saying is that I'm not an expert on genetics, but I am forever learning.
Too funny, no I am not going to fault you for breeding a cotton coat to a silk. I have done it but also know what I am getting into. I also used a male that is silk and has all silk behind him. I too am still learning after being in this for 10 years. I know the silk I have out of the breeding could produce cotton and I would certainly warn anyone first of what is behind that silk (cotton further back) should anyone approach me to use a silk male out of a cotton breeding if I keep one, show it etc, or if someone wants to buy a female puppy from me that is silk to show and add to their breeding program, that has cotton behind her.
I think what you choose to do to try to get to where you are going is fine, it is one way to learn, but I think you have to be honest if someone wants your line further down the road.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!