Thread: Hereditary?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
yorkiemom1970
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbysmom
In your professional opinions which of the following are hereditary and which are surprises that just show up and you can't prevent? I would like to hear the opinion of breeders that are trying to maintain the standard.

1) Allergies
2) tri, parti, chocolate
3) silky vs. cotton coat
4) roach back

If you have dogs with cotton coats and they are great examples of the breed in every other way...would you breed them?

I am asking b/c my friend has two yorkies with cotton coats and she would REALLY like to have one with a silky coat next time. Is is just a fluke or can you control that?

Allergies can develop, and I've never had them in my yorkies other than one of my girls who is spayed.

Tri, parti and choc would be passed through a gene so they would be inherited.

Roach back: definitely inherited.

Cotton coat: inherited.

Yes, I have bred a cotton coat to a true silk and got a modified which was beautiful, a bit on the fussier side as far as grooming a true silk but nothing like grooming a true cotton. Then when I bred a modified to a silk with true silk on daddy's side, I got a silk coat. I may just be lucky, but genetics are tricky and i'm still learning every day that goes by. I'd prefer to breed a silk to a silk any day. But I tried to compliment the cotton bitch with the silk stud because I had such a good look, stucture and health on each one in general. I'm still working on that line and will continue to. I'm pleased with the offspring so far. But I'm always out to improve. Just wanted to say if anyone downs me for breeding a cotton coat, I'll personally come to your house with my knomes and turn them lose on your property! They will pull up all your flowers and shave cream your car

All I'm saying is that I'm not an expert on genetics, but I am forever learning.
yorkiemom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!