View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
mrsp
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Please Help Me!!!

I found this site and I have found myself in a very different situation. I recently came into looking after a 4 year old teacup yorkie that my girlfriends family member could no longer look after. There is myriad of issues with this dog has and I hoping to find some kind of help.

I have been around dogs my whole life and I even raised sheep herding border collies and I have trained several bird hunting labradors, but this thing is driving me far more nuts than any of my other dogs.

to start this dog has a major potty training issue. I have proven that he is fully capable of holding it and does not have a problem with incontinence. if he is not held or i set him on an elevated surface where he cant move he will manage to roam the house and piddle where ever he pleases. again i have put him in a kennel several night and he has had no accidents, but he seems to have issues when he is just sitting around the house. I am used to disciplining my dogs with a swat or other means, but this dog only weighs 2 pounds and im sure i would end up doing more damage than correcting if i did this. i am 6'5" and I weigh 275 pounds im pretty sure if i flicked this dog with my finger i would end up breaking his leg so im worried.

my second problem with this dog is his eating habits. he only eats if there is someone around to watch him eat and there has to be boilded chicken mixed in with his food. I died a little the first time i saw this and it was kind of the straw that broke the camels back and I decided to look at some training.

the last issue is his problem with listening and paying attention, he just doesnt do it.

I believe these problems stemmed from the previous owner and how they raised him so far. They would constantly carry him, pamper him, spoil him and they chose to not housetrain per say and use diapers.

I was raised with the mentality if the dog was sick or had a broken leg, you should take it out back and, well you know the rest. I have never had to go that far with any of my animals and its not an option since this is very important to my girlfriend.

I am hoping to find some answer and learn how to recondition this dog. I will not let this dog run our lives and I also know i cant treat it like one of my collies or bird dogs.
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!