View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
mscat
YT 3000 Club Member

I've seen adults afraid of dogs, even little dogs. My
yorkie is a child lover, she always has loved children, I was astounded one time when I had Suzi at the childrens park in the apartment complex next door, when Suzi was approached by a toddler, Suzi emmiditaly roled on her back, that is very submissive behavior, and the small child did pet her, nicely. I never even taught Suzi to do it, she just had, and was so happy and amazed.
With that said Suzi is a very hyperactive yorkie and once when under a yr old, she scratched my father who is in his late 70's which made him bleed, after that experience my father is uneasy around Suzi even though he has always had dogs on his own. My son will tell Suzi in a firm voice, careful Suzi I am wearing shorts!
Since Roxie is not hyperactive, but loves to give kisses work with her, Suzi also loves kisses too, and a few times she has gotten me with her teeth, accidently from being so excited licking me, and yes, that hurts. Maybe sit your yorkie in your lap, and have your nephew sit next to you , gently pet Roxie and softly talk to your nephew about Roxie at the same time, see if he will give her a small treat, by placing the treat flat on his palm of his hand, see if that helps, he may even laugh cause it could tickle his hand a little. I would work patiently with Roxie and your nephew in intervals, just 5 minutes at a time until you can slowly help your nephew feel comfortable around Roxie and not be so afraid. This will take time, and respect thefact that right now, this little boy is scared, but it can be worked on, and resolved. I would not push the child into liking Roxie, just help him learn that Roxie is a good girl and likes him, a little patience and kind words will help him be more comfortable. I know when Suzi has got me from licking me so hard with her teeth it hurt.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!