View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
katy-yorkie
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
My Finny gets like that when she has gas build up (usually from overeating: stealing other's food). This is fairly common with her. I read an article that said some small dogs may vomit due to gas being blocked behind the food. They said it would help to hold the dog upright after eating, which allows the gas to come out, without bringing the food up with it. (in essence: how to burp your dog, lol) I did that for a few weeks... she runs to me when she finishes eating now... I hold her upright and she usually burps, sometimes she burps on her own though, before I have a chance to pick her up.

My other 3 don't seem to have a problem... the article said bc the dogs are so small there's just not enough room inside so the food may come up with the gas. If I do pick up Peek a Boo, he'll burp and then go back and eat some more... but he usually goes for a nap right after eating so I've never seen him in distress from any gas.

You can also get Mylecon (for infants) in the grocery store... check with your vet for the dose though. Active ingredient is Simethicone, which disolves gas right away.

Also, if this is a first time for this, any food changes in the recent past that would make her gassy? Or could she have gotten into something? If it continues, I'd have the vet take a look.
She does tend to overeat. Before I left for work yesterday, she ate her food and Busters. I never thought about burping her...lol. I had read about the Mylecon, but never tried it. She does have a lot of gas. Would all of this cause her heavy, quick breathing? Now I feel bad about taking her on the walk. She probably just wanted to lay down and sleep it off. Her heavy breathing concerns me, maybe it's because sometimes I have to touch Buster to see if he is breathing.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!