View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
BiewerYorkie
Zachary's Mom
Donating Member

Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipopcorner View Post
So here I am new to YorkieTalk and new to yorkie ownership. Here's my story: I've always wanted a yorkie and begin my search for a young adult last week. After numerous crazy responses to my "wanted" ads, I became discouraged and decided now may not be the time to get one, afterall we will be moving soon. Then I got an e-mail Sunday with a phone number and short description. I successfully ignored it for a while, but it kept nagging at me so I finally called. Well, Gabby was a little older than I had wanted, but after a million questions and the owner sending pictures, I decided she might just be perfect. Oh and they didn't want a rehoming fee, just wanted a good home for her. I tried to convince myself we should just wait, but I couldn't shake that nagging feeling that she was the one (and my husband agreed). According to the owner she is healthy, calm, good with kids, etc. When I saw the pictures, I just knew. After an hour and a half drive yesterday, my 12 year old daughter and I met our new family member. Gabby stole our s from the moment we met her. After learning all we needed to know (including that she is actually older than we'd been told), we took our new into petsmart shopping. With our buggy loaded and a squirmy dog ,we heading to the checkout, we noticed lie #2. Gabby has a cateract. Much to my suprise, I wasn't upset, somewhat disappointed that I'd been lied to, but didn't even consider calling the lady back. GABBY IS MY BABY now. Fast Forward ... We got home with Gabby and introduced her to the rest of the family. Lie #3 discovered... She doesn't care much for kids and something I havent mentiioned is that my almost 5 year old is terrified of dogs. Since I have well behaved and gentle kids, I was never worried about them overwhelming Gabby, so I still wasn't discouraged. Let's shorten this story some... After an afternoon with Gabby, my fearful child is no longer terrified of dogs and absolutely loves Gabby. Gabby is very tolerant of the kids and goes to her quiet spot when she needs to. We will be taking her to the vet to find out what we should do about the cateract. I assume it's floating at this time because it appears very small (which is why we didn't see it at first) and large other times. It doesn't seem to affect her vision at all though.

So Gabby has been with us for 24 hours now. I would have never thought that I ("I" emphasised) would become so attached to a dog so quickly!

Thanks for letting me join the forums. I look forward to learning from you experienced Yorkie peeps!
Paula

Such a shame that the "owner" had to lie to you like she did. Sounds like she just wanted to get rid of the dog anyway she could.

I am soooooo glad that everything is working out for you. God has a way of getting things right when they look to be totally wrong. Now we need pictures.

Let us know how the vet visit went. I would take her as soon as possible to be sure there are no other problems you aren't aware of. The vet should be able to tell you her approximate age too.

My DH and I have 6 small dogs. The oldest is 10 yrs, the youngest is my only Yorkie, a Biewer Yorkie (tri color) will be 5 months July 7. We made a pretty good drive to get him (he was 14 weeks old) and by the time we got him home, he had a name, Zachary, and was already a part of the family!! It doesn't take long does it.....!

When are you going to the vet? I am curious to hear what he has to say. I pray that she doesn't have any other problems. How old do you THINK she is??? You were MEANT to get her!! PICTURES PLEASE!!

I am a new Yorkie owner myself and this list is wonderful!!! I have only been a member for about 5 weeks but have learned and shared so very much.

WELCOME to the wonderful world of the Yorkshire Terrier!!

Louise
BiewerYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!