View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
xine
Yorkie Yakker

Default Cortisone shot for constipation?!

I'm so frustrated and worried that I had to come here and vent and see what you all think.

We're currently on the road traveling with Stitch in tow. It's definitely not the first time, and traveling with him is old hat by now.

On Saturday, we stayed over at my cousin's. While we were out to dinner, her boxer managed to break into a bag of Greenies and chicken treats I had in my luggage. I should have been way more careful and am kicking myself, but I'm used to Stitch who never steals. I assumed that her boxer ate most everything, but now I'm suspecting that Stitch ate more than his fair share of Greenies because it's been two days, and he hasn't been pooping properly.

He has just two tiny watery bowel movements, and I'm worried that he could be constipated at best and obstructed at worst. I called my vet at home, who said to take him into a local vet and get him an enema. (Yuck, but oh well.)

So I took him this morning to a highly Yelp-rated vet in the area, who felt around and said he wasn't obstructed. Because Stitch was running a mild fever (102.2), he said Stitch's bowels are inflamed, and then he proceeded to give him a cortisone shot!!! I kept asking if Stitch needed something like a laxative or enema, but he said no and to bring him back in if Stitch vomits or stops eating.

And then he charged me $110.

So here I sit with a dog that won't poop and who will probably be peeing everywhere from the cortisone shot. I'm confused, beyond frustrated, worried about my baby, and not sure if I'm being crazy or paranoid.

I should add here that other than the no pooping, Stitch is otherwise normal. He's eating, drinking, fairly playful - I'm sure his being his usual friendly and rambunctious self at the vet did nothing to convince the vet that there was anything wrong. Sigh.

So what do I do now? Try pumpkin and mineral oil? Find another vet (which I'm now scared about because the vet I found was so unhelpful)?
xine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!