View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
MY OSCAR
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady13 View Post
Hi everyone! I was so happy to find this forum last night at 4 AM when I was up with my girl Minxy.

I recently adopted Minxy (5 lb. Yorkie mixed with ?) from an animal rescue group. She was pulled from a kill shelter in Indiana, then transported to NYC where I fostered, then adopted her. She has a difficult temperament, very moody about being handled, bites, growls, etc. We chose to keep her because we have a Morkie (Benji, 6 years old) and understand the moodiness. She is estimated to be between 6-9 years old, has partial cataracts, and only a few teeth. I love her.

About 10 days ago, Minxy had bloody diarrhea, along with some gross jelly-looking stuff mixed in. Needless to say, we freaked out about the blood and brought her immediately to the vet. They did a blood test and everything showed normal. The vet gave her fluids and some other antibiotics, along with some Flagile (sp?) to take home. She seemed perfectly fine after that. We are guessing she ate something that didn't agree.

Two days ago, Minxy threw up several times. I then made her some bland rice, mixed with a tablespoon of organic chicken broth. She ate it right up! And did not vomit again.

We figured out that she had eaten some roast beef (because Benji and my other foster were having some!)

I thought she was OK, but last night she would not eat dinner, and was kind of hunched over (like when dogs are scared or timid). In the middle of the night, she had gotten up and done poopies on the pad, followed by bloody, mucus-y diarrhea (of course on my rugs, not the pad).

She ate breakfast this morning (rice mixed with a little of her usual soft food). She was shaking a little bit this morning (not as much as bathtime, but close.) Sometimes she is scared of new people, but she is very attached to me. She is curled up next to me, but I am worried that she will become dehydrated or worse...Keep in mind, we did a vet trip last week, and blood tests were normal...

OK, Yorkie moms and dads - could this all be from the few bites of Roast Beef? What should I do with her today? She did eat breakfast - maybe just some more rest? I can't keep bringing her to the vet each time, but I can certainly call and inform them of her symptoms again. From this site, I have learned that yorkies can have very sensitive tummies and have this reaction to new or harsh foods. Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this and help out a Senior Yorkie mom...

yes , yorkies do have senstive tummys. some more than others.
i know that my little guy cannot have any treats or table food.
if all your little ones bloodwork came back normal and she seems healthy it is quite possible it was the table food given to her that made her sick...
MY OSCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!