View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
Patti
Donating YT 30K Club Member

Cali was small asa puppy but mostly because she wouldn't eat. She is at a good weight at 5.2 lbs. Now she is a little chow hound and the most active of my 3 girls even though she is the oldest. Cali went in to heat at 8 months and during that we thought she had an internal blockage. So the Board certified surgeon said she would spay her during her heat, check for a blockage, do intestinal biopsies (due to her tummy problems) and do the liver biopsy. Her recovery was a little harder due to a larger incision from being spayed in heat and she stayed an extra day at the er clinic. Otherwise she was just fine. The liver biopsy confirmed a very mild case of MVD and they felt she needed no treatment. I keep her on lower protein diet just as a precaution. Every year she gets blood work and her vet has been extremely happy with her results. Her vet does take all the precautions of a liver compromised dog when prescribing medicine and putting her under anesthesia just to be safe. But honestly Cali is a very active happy dog 6 1/2 years later. Watch the protein level in treats some are very high in protein. Are they doing the MRI to look for internal shunts? It's been over 6 years since Cali was diagnosed so they never did an MRI. If you have any other questions just ask. I know it is a scary time. Praying your baby is ok.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!