View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Welcome back!

First off it sounds to me like Bubba has issues with being crated, including the xpen. Have you tried gating him in a room or two? Also if you're home 95% of the time, he shouldn't be in a crate while you're home. Yorkies love and live to be with their owners, they don't understand why they would be kept from this.

Also, potty accidents should not be reprimanded, in any way, shape or form. Accidents are your fault, not his. Until he is more reliable, block areas of the house from his access, but don't crate him. Dogs kept in a crate for long periods of time will have issues, even when they are let out for exercise and whatnot. Granted, some Yorkies accept being crated, when it is a positive experience. But not all of them.

He does not appear to want 'free time' in an xpen outside. Take him for a 5 minute walk instead. Walks reinforce bonding, which is another issue that may be part of his problem.

Before having a behaviorist come in, I would recommend a vet check. Bloodwork and a BAT to check his liver function, as hyperactivity can be a symptom of Liver Shunt. Does he eat well and have good body condition?

When he is in the house with you is he behaving better? (Just as you do your day to day stuff?) Will he settle down on the couch next to you to relax, or lay in your lap?

Last edited by kjc; 06-29-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!