View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunasMomma View Post
If your vet is experienced in doing small animal, your baby should be in very good hands. Vets do pediatric spays all the time, on tiny little kittens that are much smaller. I'd have them be extra thorough with the pre-op testing and also find out what kind of anesthesia they'll use. Sevoflourane is what you really want, it clears their body very quickly. If they say they're using IV anesthesia, RUN!!! That is much harder to get the dosage right and it takes a long time to work it's way our of their little bodies. The gas is much better, they can control it more tightly, and they come out of it very quickly when it's shut off. With a little one like your baby, also make sure that they are using heat support to keep her body temp up during surgery.

I think it's very smart of you to go ahead and do the spay while she's under for her teeth.
Absolutely, do not use anything but gas anesthesia on a Yorkie...and if you are going to put the baby under for one thing, may as well do both...I can certainly understand where you are coming from with your fears....I have had dogs growing up all my life, and been fortunate enough to never have one die from mammary or uterine cancer....never had puppies on any of those unspayed females either.....If you have a good vet, AND ALL THE NECESSARY LABS ARE DONE REGARDLESS OF "HOW SHE LOOKS" OR "HOW YOUNG SHE IS", I am sure she will fly thru this like it is nothing....
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!