View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #30
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Since I had a 3 lb. Yorkie attacked, seriously injured by a big, unleashed dog on a walk, I try to post this story on every thread like this for anyone who hasn't already read it. I might work for you:

I walk with a huge black umbrella that self-opens when I push a button. It is a big thing and impressive as it opens! It give me a large appearance to the approaching dog, having that big, wide structure spread all out before me.

The thing I found most helpful to me about the open umbrella is the distance it will keep a troublesome dog away from our immediate vicinity. I have yet to have one ever get even remotely close to me and my Yorkie with the trusty brolly fully employed. They either go the other way immediately(99% of the time), stand their ground if the owner is making them or give you a very very wide berth. They don't get close enough to or try to keep an aggressive attitude when they hear the umbrella whoosh open and see that imposing shape blossom open before their eyes. It is very disconcerting to any dog. It is a good diffuser of tense situations but should it not be, a sturdy or actual defensive umbrellas can serve as a real weapon should you actually run into a dog who is bent on attacking. When my little 3 lb. Yorkie, Jilly, was attacked by a 65 lb. Dalmatian on a neighborhood walk, my simple wooden walking stick(pre-umbrella) was how I saved her life and got her free of the big dog's jaws. It was after that attack that I decided to use a button-operated umbrella for future walks as a deterrent - even if I have no dog with me.

But the role an open umbrella best serves is just a dissolver of bad attitudes. Most approaching dogs aren't really bad, they just are inquisitive, excited and out of control and this tool helps them to settle down rather quickly and become serious about how they can best stay well clear of you, your dog and your umbrella. And it gives you a wonderful sense of security, which a dog can read from quite far off.

Train your dog to sit/stay when you open the umbrella so that in an emergency situation, your dog will not be running around at your feet or shying away from the umbrella opening, thus adding to the stress of the moment.

Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!