View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
navillusc
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Unlike commercial dog food, where there is a "chemical formulation" and a "recommended feeding amount" or a chemical concoction/medicine whose "dosage" is also generally based on the dog's weight to determine an amount that will not be immediately harmful to the animal, to my knowledge, organic virgin coconut oil that is not made from COPRA is a whole, natural, nutritious food and subject only to the amount you want to give him/her and the amount he/she is willing to/wants to eat. It is the same way with humans...how many apples is the correct amount for a 60 lb. 7-year old child or 270 lb. adult...lol

I plunk a chunk on coconut oil in a small bowl or on a saucer and let mine eat what they want of it, or plunk a hunk on a good organic kibble and let it melt and drizzle down over it. I eat it the same way...in a chunk, or melted on popcorn, etc., and, yes, coconut oil is metabolically friendly......there is much information available for those willing to do the research but generally you only want to use fats and oils that go bad fairly quickly.

You'd want to eliminate ALL OTHER UNNATURAL oils...hydrogenated and partially-hydrogenated, refined, heat processed, etc. oils and fats...and watch the "ingredients" (!?) for lard, which is being hydrogenated now, and butter should only be organic and not contain rGBH and/or antiobiotics. Also, generally you want to avoid those with the little "heart" (attack) sticker. You can use flax oil with vinegar as a salad dressing but otherwise mix it with cottage cheese or yogurt so that it can be absorbed/used properly. Nutritious flax seen oil goes bad quickly without refrigeration, so if it is in, say peanut butter sitting on a shelf in a hot warehouse or tractor trailer for a time, if it was GOOD oil, it would go bad long before it gets to the supermarket shelf.

Animals fats that are not hydrogenated or loaded with chemicals are okay for cooking/frying, as is coconut oil...keep all oils below the smoke point...if it smokes, throw it out...lol, and BTW potatoes fried in coconut oil are delicious...also, try coconut shrimp fried in coconut oil. Yum!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!