View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Scrappy View Post
I know this is an old thread but found it searching for Liver Shunt. My liver shunt boy is now 7 years old. He had surgery when he was a little over a year old, so about 6 years ago. I went to a specialized vet in a suburb of Chicago for the surgery. They used a procedure that placed a clamp on the open vessel. He had to stay on meds for about 4 months after the surgery. The idea was the clamp would cause scar tissue to fill in the open vessel. Well, it worked and he has wonderful liver tests now. I know about the doc at U of TN but wanted to share my story because it's not the only place you can get a LS fixed. After Ziggy's ultrsound by the surgery vet place, they told me "you will have a brand new dog" and they were right. It cost around $3,000. I was so distraught but things worked out. The only thing now is his diet. Next I will search that to see what other LS survivors are eating.
My vet said they can go back to eating whatever you want to feed them after good blood tests and3-6 months wait after the surgery.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!