View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #35
broodizt
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
You're very welcome. One last thing though... you're saying this 'headbobbing and nose pressing' is something new that she's doing since the dental? These are symptoms of increased fluid in the brain, probably a result of the manipulation of her head during the dental.

There are different levels of severity of AAI. If these or any other new/odd behaviors appear or get any worse, then it is very much an emergency. If the pressure in her head is not relieved, it could have a very bad outcome, very bad.

Prednisone will reduce the swelling in the brain, and Omeprazole (Prilosec for humans) will slow the production of CSF (Cerebral Spinal Fluid) in dogs. Write these down and get to an ERVet. I'm not sure if all vets are aware of using Omeprazole in dogs, it's an extra-label drug (not approved for use in dogs to reduce the production of CSF).

Two more common results of increased fluid on the brain are blindness and loss of the ability to breathe. This happens when the pressure from the fluid hits on specific nerves in the brain. These will normally resolve with medication.

So if she's acting like she cannot see, or is having difficulty breathing, rush her to an ERVet right away. I'd make a plan now just in case, pack a bag to take with you, so you can fly out the door to the vet.

I'd go to the closest one, get her stabilized, then go on to the ER at VSH, unless VSH is the closest one.

I am sorry, but I think waiting till Friday is a very risky decision, especially with her new symptoms. And to be honest with you, if this was my dog, I'd go to VSH ER now.

I'll keep you and your little one in my prayers... Hugs,
Dear kjc,

No, I'm very sorry if I gave you the impression that this was a new condition. She has been doing this head bobbing thing for as long as I can remember, maybe the full five years I've had her, or close to it. It's definitely not new behavior. The ER doctor discussed the use of omeprazole with me and said she recommended trying it, but wanted to t/w my vet to get her approval. I still haven't heard from her. Still waiting. I think I will call now. I definitely will monitor her eyesight and breathing. I am about 5 minutes from the CVS ER, so I would take her there first. I can be out the door in 3 seconds. VSH is more than an hour away, I would not take her there first if there were a true emergency. Too far away. CVS saved her life many times and I trust them, and they are five minutes away. But of course any risky planned ahead things, I would certainly go to VHS. Thanks so much for your concern, and well, for everything.

Blessings,
Shellie
Shellie
broodizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!