View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #32
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broodizt View Post
Dear kjc,

Thank you so much for your support. I cannot tell you what it means to me to have you and everyone else here writing me and taking time out of your busy schedules to comfort and support me. You are so much appreciated, I don't know what I can do to thank you and show you how much you all mean to me. There just are no words----I'm all choked up!! Thank you, thank you all, for all your love and support. You are grounding me, keeping me sane, and warming my heart and soul.

Here is an update:

I spoke with Dr. Feinberg at the Governor Animal Clinic, the Vet who did her dentistry. He states he is surprised at the findings. He is having an expert come in on Wednesday and wants her to look at the X-rays. He's says, if he had known about the AAI would would be hesitant to even put her under anesthesia much less do the dentistry. He says, they are very very gentle, but any test including ultra sound, X-rays, and certainly dental surgery requires a good about of moving and neck manipulation-he is puzzled and surprised she did so well, not only in surgery but recovering from the anesthesia after surgery. He says he will get back to me on Friday with the results of the consult. I talked to him about her head bobbing up and down and her leaning her nose on or between my fingers when I hold her. He says she must be compensating for the AAI, but still wants his expert to see the X-rays. So I am waiting....he says at this point, he does not think it is an emergency-given everything she has been through, but there needs to be a plan of action very soon. I am still waiting to hear from Tamera, my wholistic Vet.

By the way, that is a great idea about elevating her bowl with a towel. I didn't think of that. Before I even knew about the AAI I tried to get an elevated bowel for the girls, but all the raised food dishes were just too tall for them. But a towel, I never thought of that. That is one great genius idea, and so simple too. I'm going to try it immediately. Thank you!!!

She does usually get the china doll treatment, but she hop jumps into and out of her beds, some are fluffy pillow types, some are soft cosy ones with a soft side, but she does not WALK into any of them. She kind of hops up onto them. There is only one bed that I can think of that she does not need to hop onto, a long rectangle bed with no sides, I think I will switch her bed, even though I think the others are more comfortable. We have no stairs, and I never leave her up on a bed or couch unless I am there with her...
Thanks for the GREAT ideas!
Shellie :-)
Blessings to you all!!
You're very welcome. One last thing though... you're saying this 'headbobbing and nose pressing' is something new that she's doing since the dental? These are symptoms of increased fluid in the brain, probably a result of the manipulation of her head during the dental.

There are different levels of severity of AAI. If these or any other new/odd behaviors appear or get any worse, then it is very much an emergency. If the pressure in her head is not relieved, it could have a very bad outcome, very bad.

Prednisone will reduce the swelling in the brain, and Omeprazole (Prilosec for humans) will slow the production of CSF (Cerebral Spinal Fluid) in dogs. Write these down and get to an ERVet. I'm not sure if all vets are aware of using Omeprazole in dogs, it's an extra-label drug (not approved for use in dogs to reduce the production of CSF).

Two more common results of increased fluid on the brain are blindness and loss of the ability to breathe. This happens when the pressure from the fluid hits on specific nerves in the brain. These will normally resolve with medication.

So if she's acting like she cannot see, or is having difficulty breathing, rush her to an ERVet right away. I'd make a plan now just in case, pack a bag to take with you, so you can fly out the door to the vet.

I'd go to the closest one, get her stabilized, then go on to the ER at VSH, unless VSH is the closest one.

I am sorry, but I think waiting till Friday is a very risky decision, especially with her new symptoms. And to be honest with you, if this was my dog, I'd go to VSH ER now.

I'll keep you and your little one in my prayers... Hugs,
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!