View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
shb
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Inconsistent pee pad usage

I have an 8 week old puppy (yes, I NOW know that the breeder should not have separated him from his mother and littermates so early) that I am trying to train to use pee pads. I have a pen set up where we keep him when we’re out of the house. He has been really good with using the pad when he is in his pen. The problem is when we allow him to roam outside the pen he is much less consistent. For example, this morning when he woke up he used his pad, no problem. When I let him out of the pen to play, over a span of about 20 to 30 minutes, he peed another 2 times in pretty small amounts. I always interrupt him and try and put him on his pad but he seems uninterested in using it. If I close the door on his pen, he just hangs out in there like he doesn’t have to pee.

It’s also worth noting, I leave his water and food down at all times.

My question, then, is: why would he be using his pad sometimes and not other times? He seems to understand its purpose (so much as to, on occasion, walk from the living room to the kitchen just to use it).

I’ve also noticed that when is looking for a place to poop, as he is sniffing for a spot he usually checks out his pee pad, but then opts for a place nearby before I pick him up and place him on the pad and praise and treat him. Does anyone have any thoughts on this behaviour?
shb is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!