View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #44
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

At 14 this is a tough decision to make. I'm 23 and lived a very mature teenagehood. I ran a business and learned the value of money very quickly from having a sick horse, and several other animals directly under my care (even some rescues). While in the heat of the moment it may feel like a wonderful thing to get a puppy immediately, think about all the troubles you could have in the future if the puppy gets sick.

I don't want to be a downer, but picture if you will. You finally decide to go to college and move out of home, you've become extremely attached to fido, you love her. But in your first week of school away from home mom calls to tell you fido is sick yet again, and she doesn't know what to do. Rather than enjoying your time experiencing life you are worried sick about fido and are trying to figure out how to pay for school, pay for fun, and pay for fido's ever growing vet bills because fido is not getting better, not to mention the lost focus on your school work from being stressed out. I know it's harsh but I've had to make decisions like this before. It was for a horse but either way it's still an animal you care about. Please consider this when making your decision. If I could do everything over again I would have done things far differently.

If you do decide to get this puppy, please, please, please get the best possible insurance plan for the dog immediately. You want the lowest possible deductible and the highest possible coverage. I have a pup now who I thought came from a reputable breeder, he's got a very sensitive system and has had issues for the past year. I've spent well over $4000 on the vet this year, thank god I have insurance, but not all of it was covered.

I do not envy your decision. Best of luck with which ever decision you make, and know that this place is great for support. If you get the pup, we will help you make her life as best as possible. If you don't then we will support you and help you find a pup that will be healthy when you're ready for it, and when the right one comes along.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!