View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
enchilila
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
So her hair is super shiney, right now, but it is breaking off? Interesting. But she is not scratching now? Is she rolling more in the grass? Or on the carpet or rubbing up against the couch?

I wonder if her hair is starting to dry out? Did the legs start to go first? I find the gold on Razzle's legs is drier than his steel blue. They are still silky but somehow they seem to dry out first! Also his facial hair as well.

Is the hair breaking off midshaft? No discoloration on the skin that you can see?

Have you changed foods recently?

A vet visit might be in order just to give her the once over and see what the vet says.

Depending upon what he says; 1) I would try to use only filtered water and make sure you know how much water she is drinking. I have a bottle that fits on the crate. Or you could pour 8oz of water into her bowl and see what see goes through each day.

2) Try a humidifier in the bedroom she sleeps in.
3) I might try to shave her down; or at least even up the raggedy areas, and at the very least tip the ends of all the hair once per month. That means just snip the ends of the hair.
4) Talk to the vet about a good coat supplement for her; and see what she recommends. IOD does make one that I use.
5) Then for the legs in particular, get high grade organic coconut oil, and liquidfy it in your hands and rub all over her leg hair and then comb out. Get a wider tooth comb. De tangle her hair gently and patiently. You may need to do this daily for 7-10 days, depending upon how dry the hair is.
6) Once you get used to how much of the coconut oil to use try it out on her body.
Nb: Start only with one leg, make sure there are no skin reactions.
7) If you are washing her weekly 2x per month do a very deep conditioning treatment. You can use IOD #51 conditioner. Literally slather it on. Wrap up you pup and hold her for 30 minutes while the conditioner does it's work. Then rinse "most" of it off. The hair should still feel slippery.

8) Blow Drying .... Use the cool heat.

9) BTw is she in a chlorinated pool?

10) Get a silk wrapping jacket, and put that on under the harness when you walk her.

Let me know how it goes with the hair. Such a shame, I'm sure you are sad to see her lovely hair in the condition that it is in

You gave some good tips! Thanks! We returned home from vacation yesterday and I'm just now sitting down long enough to reply. I gave Betty Boop a bath today and slathered on the IOD #51 conditioner, wrapped her in a towel and sat on the couch. She was shivering on and off. So, I happened to have a basket of warm, folded towels that I had just taken out of the dryer right beside me. I started piling on the warm towels. After a few minutes, she relaxed and began SNORING! It was the sweetest and cutest thing. We sat for 30 minutes and then I rinsed her, leaving some in her hair. Her hair really felt different after blowing her dry.

I'll be getting a supplement of some kind for her and will be trying the coconut oil on her hair. She will be having her yearly checkup next month.

I just hope I can get her back on track. She had such beautiful hair.

Where do I get a wrapping jacket? And, no, we don't have a chlorine pool.

"Betty Boop"
The light of my life & the joy of my living!

Last edited by enchilila; 06-22-2012 at 05:57 PM.
enchilila is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!