View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Well honestly I'm not so sure everyone needs to go to a board certified dentist. I just think I do, because the general vets I've had are not good with teeth. And my vet has been very good at the digestive issues and getting my dogs over serious issues that might be equally important.

I know some members, like LadyJane, have vets that are good at teeth and in that case that might be enough. But, it seems that one needs to start doing more questioning about the exam and the procedure. I love the service at Angell but the BC dentist is leaving (he's going to VA so our loss could be some other YT member's gain - we love him!). There are other vets in the area who have more of an interest in teeth and some even sort of specialize (but are not Boarded). The fees around here for dental cleanings are very high, and I am fortunate I can access this care for my pets -- but I am appalled that it's not going to be within the reach of EVERY pet owner!! Every pet owner should be able to have their dog's teeth cleaned and assessed properly for good long term health.

Indeed it is a wake up call - Teddy had pretty white teeth and a nice bite and I am very good and diligent with home care. It's not enough for some dogs and I can't get Teddy's teeth back now and I feel just terrible about that. And there is really no way to tell without the xrays in some cases.

The other thing that was interesting was that Barney's liver enzymes had been elevated when his blood was drawn for his April surgery. The dentist told me yesterday that the infected loose tooth could have been the reason and that I should check his liver again in a few weeks and he bets the liver enzyme elevations will come back down. What does that tell you about the need to keep the mouth clean??
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!