View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Hi and Welcome to YT!

Wow, where to start? First, at 11 weeks of age... she is just a baby. Serious potty training starts at 12 weeks... her Mom should be teaching her up to that point. She would also have learned bite inhibition from her mom and siblings... She doesn't understand 'No' because she doesn't understand English at this point in time.

A young puppy needs to be constantly supervised, and when not supervised she needs a room or area when she is confined and that is puppy safe. They do best on a schedule. Sleep, potty, eat, potty, play, potty, naptime, potty, eat, potty, play, potty, eat, potty,play, potty, naptime, eat, potty, bedtime, basically. This schedule will help with potty training. Also, give a treat as a reward for a proper potty... never punish for a mistake... they do not understand and will lead to more problems. Positive Reinforcement (rewarding correct/desired behavior) works best: Verbal: Good Dog... then give a treat.

Here's some help: Puppy Care and Puppy Info Library - YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

I had a lot of success communicating with my first young puppy by growling at her. I tried a few different sounding (higher or lower pitched) growls till I hit on one that really got her attention... she would stop in her tracks no matter what she was doing. I combined this with English commands, and within a few weeks she understood what I wanted.

Young children need to be supervised around a young (and older) puppy, and Yorkies in general. Yorkies, especially puppies are very fragile and quick, and are not recommended to be in homes with children under 12 years of age. (although many do and have been successful with both), The child has to be protected from the puppy, and the puppy has to be protected from the child, always. Young children should not be involved in the daily care of the puppy...ie: handling food or waste.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!