View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

I'm so sorry your dog is having this problem. It sounds painful. In fact, that is probably why your dogs limps - because it hurts to bear weight on the leg. That is how he is showing pain. Dogs are known to be stoic, especially with chronic type pain and often don't complain as people in chronic pain may. Dogs will yelp out when their hair is accidentally pulled but can have a serious, even open wound and not be whining or yelping after the initial cries when it happened.

They usually mask pain as best they can as an instinct of survival. Just "Google" the phrase "dogs don't show pain" & read about it. If they sense you are palpating near or in a painful area, they will often brace against it & totally hide all but the most acute pain. Your dog could be masking/bracing or perhaps only bearing weight is painful & not pressure or motion. But a professional needs to determine that as soon as possible to possibly save undue suffering.

I would get a reputable orthopedic surgeon's evaluation & x-rays & go from there. The dog probably needs anti-inflammatories and perhaps pain medication now & perhaps, surgical correction in the future, though don't treat based on anything a non-vet tells you. Let the doctor decide those things & let us know what the diagnosis is & how your dog is doing if you will. Best wishes to you and your baby.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!